Computer forensics or digital forensics
is a term in computer science to acquire authorized proof present in digital media or computers storage. With digital forensic investigation, the investigator can find what happened to the digital media resembling emails, hard disk, logs, computer system, and the network itself. In many case, forensic investigation can produce how the crime may happened and how we are able to defend ourselves in opposition to it next time.
Some reasons why we have to conduct a forensic investigation: 1. To gather evidences so that it may be used in courtroom to solve legal cases. 2. To research our network strength, and to fill the security gap with patches and fixes. 3. To get better deleted files or any recordsdata within the event of hardware or software failure
In computer forensics, an important things that have to be remembered when conducting the investigation are:
1. The unique proof should not be altered in anyhow, and to do conduct the method, forensic investigator should make a bit-stream image. Bit-stream image is a little by little copy of the unique storage medium and precise copy of the original media. The difference between a bit-stream image and regular copy of the original storage is bit-stream image is the slack house within the storage. You'll not find any slack area information on a duplicate media.
2. All forensic processes should follow the authorized legal guidelines in corresponding nation the place the crimes happened. Every nation has different regulation suit in IT field. Some take IT guidelines very critically, for instance: United Kingdom, Australia.
3. All forensic processes can solely be conducted after the investigator has the search warrant.
Forensic investigators would normally trying on the timeline of how the crimes happened in well timed manner. With that, we can produce the crime scene about how, when, what and why crimes may happened. In a giant firm, it is instructed to create a Digital Forensic Team or First Responder Team, so that the company could nonetheless protect the evidence until the forensic investigator come to the crime scene.
First Response rules are: 1. In no way should anyone, apart from Forensic Analyst, to make any attempts to recover info from any computer system or device that holds electronic information. 2. Any try and retrieve the information by person stated in number 1, ought to be prevented as it might compromise the integrity of the evidence, through which grew to become inadmissible in authorized court.
Based mostly on that rules, it has already explained the essential roles of getting a First Responder Workforce in a company. The unqualified particular person can only safe the perimeter in order that no one can touch the crime scene till Forensic Analyst has come (This may be carried out by taking photograph of the crime scene. They can also make notes in regards to the scene and who have been current at that time.
Steps should be taken when a digital crimes happenred in knowledgeable means: 1. Secure the crime scene until the forensic analyst arrive.
2. Forensic Analyst should request for the search warrant from local authorities or company's management.
3. Forensic Analyst make take a picture of the crime scene in case of if there is no any photos has been taken.
4. If the computer is still powered on, do not turned off the computer. Instead, used a forensic tools such as Helix to get some info that can solely be discovered when the computer is still powered on, such as information on RAM, and registries. Such tools has it is special perform as to not write something back to the system so the integrity keep intake.
5. As soon as all live evidence is collected, Forensic Analyst cant turned off the computer and take harddisk back to forensic lab.
6. All of the evidences have to be documented, wherein chain of custody is used. Chain of Custody preserve records on the proof, reminiscent of: who has the proof for the final time.
7. Securing the proof should be accompanied by authorized officer equivalent to police as a formality.
8. Back within the lab, Forensic Analyst take the proof to create bit-stream image, as unique evidence should not be used. Normally, Forensic Analyst will create 2-5 bit-stream image in case 1 image is corrupted. Of course Chain of Custody nonetheless used in this scenario to keep records of the evidence.
9. Hash of the original proof and bit-stream image is created. This acts as a proof that original evidence and the bit-stream image is the exact copy. So any alteration on the bit image will end in totally different hash, which makes the evidences discovered grow to be inadmissible in court.
10. Forensic Analyst begins to search out proof in the bit-stream image by rigorously wanting at the corresponding location is dependent upon what kind of crime has happened. For example: Short-term Internet Recordsdata, Slack Area, Deleted File, Steganography files.